A HUGE thank you to the Birding Besties, Cruddy Ducks, Elder Birds, Mr. & Mrs. Fisher (Team Ijsvogel), U-Terns, Silent Siskins, and Wandering Totallers for making the 2022 Birdathon our most successful yet. Together, we went above and beyond our goal of $20,500 and raised a total of $21,995! We greatly appreciate their efforts to support our work to protect local birds and other wildlife.
A big congratulations to this year's winners:
Most Funds Raised
#1 Silent Siskins - $5,338 raised
#2 Elder Birds - $3,275 raised
#3 Wandering Totallers - $2,799.80 raised
#1 Elder Birds - 152 species
#2 Wandering Totallers - 136 species
#3 U-Terns - 134 species
We know you have been honing your birding skills and are ready to put them to use - the 2022 San Diego Birdathon is here!
Teams of birders will compete to count as many species of birds as possible within a 24-hour period of their choosing during the month of April, all while helping to raise funds to support our work to protect local wildlife.
Want to participate? Email email@example.com to register your team or solo effort. Then download your pledge form and bird checklist. Your friends and family can also donate online by clicking the button below.
What: Spring is a great time to enjoy San Diego’s incomparable bird life, and it is the time of year when we ask you to directly support our work to protect local birds by giving to our Birdathon fundraiser.
Who: The event is open to any and all solo birders, of all levels of experience as well as teams like The U-Terns, Two-Tired Birders, Elder Birds, and the Wandering Totalers who are back in force this year.
Where: Anywhere you decide! Bird your favorite patch or all over San Diego County.
When: Count as many bird species as possible within any 24-hour period during the month of April. Report these back to your team lead, or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register: Sign up for the Birdathon so we know that you are in! Email email@example.com to register your team or solo effort.
Donate: The Birdathon gives us the opportunity to collectively celebrate and protect the birds and wildlife that we love. Compete to record the most species and raise the most money, and share texts, emails and photos throughout your day. Reach out to your friends, families and neighbors to get them into the game, and ask them to sponsor you (e.g. $1 per species counted). Any donation is welcome - it's up to them, and the birding is up to you. The deadline for donations to count towards a team's total is May 20th.
New this year: A fun end of Birdathon celebration on June 1st at a location TBA where we will announce the winning teams!
Resources to Support Your Birding Day:
- Study Up – Birds of San Diego County and SD Bird Atlas
- Print Your Checklist
- Build Your Bird Feeder and Get Your Bird Seed
- Share what you find and get support with IDs using iNaturalist and on our Facebook. We will have our birder pros on standby if you need help with your IDs
The results are in:
- Most Species Counted by Team - Wandering Totalers, with 141 species, followed closely by the U-terns with 134 species, and the Silent Siskins with 111 species.
- Most Funds Raised by a Team - Silent Siskins, with $5,519.11 raised, followed by the Wandering Totalers with $4,519.16, and the Elder Birds with $4,491.86.
Thank you to everyone that participated in the 2021 Birdathon!
2020 Backyard Birdathon
- The Too Tired Birders - 84 species seen, including Greater Yellowlegs, Nuttall’s Woodpecker, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Orange-crowned Warbler and a Glaucous-winged Gull.
- The Wandering Totalers - 132 species seen, including a Bell's Vireo, Lawrence's Goldfinch, Ladderback Woodpecker, Pine Siskin, Bullock's Oriole, a Gray and Hammond's Flycatcher, and a secretive Screech Owl seen at Silverwood.
- The U-terns (SDAS staff) - 99 species seen, including a Western Tanager, Western Screech Owl and Northern Flicker.